WhatsApp Payments feature based on UPI is now in India.WhatsApp’s payment feature is available only for Android and iOS user.
How to add banks to WhatsApp Payments? How to send and receive money using WhatsApp Payments? Let us see the feature in detail.
The Facebook-owned firm had confirm working on this feature early last year.WhatsApp uses the Unified Payment Interface (UPI) for its
payment service on the messaging app. This payments method enables one to send and money receive through their UPI-linked bank accounts.
It ensures a fast and swift transfer of money without having to store balance in a wallet.
WhatsApp Payments is the peer-to-peer payment option. Hence,
you can’t use this for merchant payments.it is UPI based platform. The money will be directly credited to recipient’s bank account.
Also, as you are sending money to WhatsApp user who has linked his phone number with the bank account and UPI,
there is no need to enter the VPA (Virtual Payments Address) or bank account number or IFSC code.
Note that the feature is only available to the mobile version of the application and not on WhatsApp Web.
Also, the payment interface supports UPI services from all major banks including HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank,
State Bank of India, Yes Bank.
Let’s take a quick look at how to setup WhatsApp Payments and send money to your friends.
How to link your bank account with WhatsApp Payments
- Open Application
- now you will see three dots on the top right corner Tap on
- Go to settings
- You will see the option “Payments” just below notification and tap on that.
- On the next screen tap on “ACCEPT AND CONTINUE”.
- This will ask you to verify your mobile number using SMS, tap on “VERIFY VIA SMS”.
- App will send you an SMS and use the same and complete the verification process.
- Now you will see a list of all UPI supported banks. The format is usually the bank name and the last four digits of your bank account.
- If you have multiple accounts within the same bank, it will show multiple options. Pick the one you want to link to the app. Select your bank.
- App will fetch details and show your bank account number.
- After this, you will see the message saying setup complete.
How to change or delete bank account in WhatsApp Payments
- After you’re done verifying ,you will see a list of all UPI supported banks.
- Once you select your bank account, it will fetch details and add the account.
- You can either set up this account as your primary account to send and receive payments or you can remove also.
- By tapping on bank, you will see the option of setting the bank as primary or secondary bank to receive or send payment.
How to invite your friends to WhatsApp Payments
If you wannt to send money to youur WhatsApp Friend, he or she needs to have the latest update.
The recipients also need to have their bank account and phone number linked with a UPI account to be able to send and receive money.
If these conditions are met, then you can send money.Once you attempt a transaction to a contact on your WhatsApp list, she/he would get the feature enabled if they didn’t have it yet.
They only need to be on the latest update.
How to send money to your friends using WhatsApp
- open individual chat of your WhatsApp Friend whom you want to send money
- click on the “Clip” icon and there you will find the option “Payment” click on payment option.
- you can enter the amount followed by a note (a message) and tap on the send button.
- in next step WhatsApp will ask you to enter 4 digit upi pin.
- when you enter and process then the money will be sent.
- You will also get the details of the transaction from your bank as an SMS
The process is the same if you want to send money to someone in a group. After tapping on the ‘Payment’ icon,
it will show you the group members. Just select the person you want to send the money to, followed by amount,note and pin, and your money will be transferred.